Introductory Ultrasound Course - AAA and FAST Scanning
This one day course provides an introduction to ultrasound scanning in the Emergency Department. This course is available every second year. We alternate the introductory course with our Advanced Ultrasound Course. It is ideally suited for Emergency Medicine trainees who are starting out with ultrasound. It is also useful for surgical, critical care, and rural medicine trainees.
Following an introduction to ultrasound physics and “knobology”, the emphasis is on practical information, with plenty of time for hands on scanning in small groups, each with an experienced tutor. We have patient volunteers with real pathology.
This course is accredited with the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine.
- Sonographers including the charge sonographer at Christchurch Hopsital
- Experienced Emergency Physicians with formal qualifications in ultrasound and an active interest in teaching
Click here to meet our faculty.
Educational Outcomes / content
- A comprehensive workbook
- A practical overview of physics and instrumentation ("Knobology")
- Limitations of ultrasound and ACEM accreditation
- Small group hands-on scanning - 4 hours
- Experience using a variety of ultrasound machines
This course is held at Manawa Building, 276 Antigua St, next to Christchurch Hospital.